Wolfers and Delheid are probably the most renowned Belgian silversmiths recognised worldwide. Both created, in Brussels, a dynasty of silversmiths that lasted for more than 100 years.
The Delheid house was founded by Michel Delheid in Brussels, around 1827-28. In 1866, two of his sons, Edmond-Joseph and Alphonse-Jules, gave the atelier its definitive name "Delheid Frères". They registered a new maker's mark, the famous capital letter "D" under a snake and gained international notability with their silverware production. The company remained active until the early 1980s.
Louis Wolfers registered his maker's mark: the head of a boar, crowned with the letter W in 1852. His sons were raised in the firm and sent abroad to complete their education and craftsmen’s skills. Thanks to the impetus given by its three highly skilled sons - Philippe, Max and Robert - and its nephew Albert Wolfers the house grew rapidly and was renamed “Louis Wolfers père et fils” in 1885. After Louis' death, in 1892, the name was changed to "Wolfers Frères" and the maker's mark was adapted to the renowned triangle with three five-pointed stars. The company evolved to one of the most important European firms in the field of production silverware and jewellery. The Wolfers dynasty undoubtedly influenced the decorative arts of the XXth century till the closing down of production in 1974 . Their Art Nouveau and Art Deco canteens, services and masterpieces enjoy great international recognition and can be found in the most important Belgium museums.